Anyone remove the clamp/cable guide on the left fork? - Triumph Bobber Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Van

Anyone remove the clamp/cable guide on the left fork?

When I was installing my flyscreen, the position I wanted (having the screen sit right above the headlamp) ended up being blocked by the clamp on the left fork. The clamp is just to hold a guide that basically did nothing. The clutch cable ran between it and the fork...and it wasn't supporting the cable, but rather just kept it sitting where it was at laterally.

So....I removed it so that I could lower the clamps for the flyscreen. Does anyone know what value that guide provided? If it was to keep it from moving around too much, I can just zip tie it to the wire bundle that is around it I suppose.
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van View Post
When I was installing my flyscreen, the position I wanted (having the screen sit right above the headlamp) ended up being blocked by the clamp on the left fork. The clamp is just to hold a guide that basically did nothing. The clutch cable ran between it and the fork...and it wasn't supporting the cable, but rather just kept it sitting where it was at laterally.

So....I removed it so that I could lower the clamps for the flyscreen. Does anyone know what value that guide provided? If it was to keep it from moving around too much, I can just zip tie it to the wire bundle that is around it I suppose.

That clamp you speak of has caused a lot of grief for many i.e. chafing the clutch cable to the point of replacement under warranty. Many have removed it with no issues so carry on.
PS: do not tie the clutch cable to any wiring.

2018 Bobber in Morello Red

Last edited by Ribkick; 07-03-2018 at 01:18 AM. Reason: clarification
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 06:26 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I am one of those that removed it as it was roughing up the clutch cable.

I think the one on the Bobber Black doesn't present such an issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 04:10 PM

Garage
I had removed mine and just let the cable move around happy on its own. Once I made the switch to the high bars it comes with a new cable guide with a different position so now I am using that.

Calmer than you are...
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Heimbach View Post
I had removed mine and just let the cable move around happy on its own. Once I made the switch to the high bars it comes with a new cable guide with a different position so now I am using that.
I just noticed the cable chafing on my bike. Amazed that this issue hasn’t been treated to a recall. Going to get in touch with my dealer about this.

P.S. I like your reference to the Big Lebowski there!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 09:24 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guffer View Post
I just noticed the cable chafing on my bike. Amazed that this issue hasn’t been treated to a recall. Going to get in touch with my dealer about this.

P.S. I like your reference to the Big Lebowski there!
I believe they did issue a recall. The bobber black has the updated bracket and the dealer should swap it out for you or just take it off and you should be just fine.

Calmer than you are...
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 07:00 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Heimbach View Post
I believe they did issue a recall. The bobber black has the updated bracket and the dealer should swap it out for you or just take it off and you should be just fine.
I will need to remember this and give them a call to ask. I'll head to the dealer late summer to get the V&H tune, and see if they can't address it then.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Van

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I’m going to leave it off then. It didn’t seem to do anything anyway in terms of support or guiding the cable.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-2018, 11:03 PM

No recall in Canada. I just remove mine. I sent to pictures to the nearest dealer (8 hours away) of my chaffed clutch cable and they ordered a new one. I will be bringing it in for it annual service they will install it then.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 12:43 AM

photos post N*13

https://www.triumphbobberforum.com/f...h-cable-2.html

765RS,Speed3R,ThruxtonR,T120,ThruxtonClassic,Thrux tonEFI,HDSlim,48,NightRoad,DynaGlide,Roadking,Héri tage,900CBR,1500F6C,1100ZRX,1200Bandit,1100Zéphir, 1000CBR,750SRAD,VMax,750&1000GSXR,750Stinger,FJ120 0,500XT,Ténéré,GS1000&750,GT750&380,RDX,K5..

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page