Anyone remove the clamp/cable guide on the left fork? - Triumph Bobber Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Van
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 14
Anyone remove the clamp/cable guide on the left fork?

When I was installing my flyscreen, the position I wanted (having the screen sit right above the headlamp) ended up being blocked by the clamp on the left fork. The clamp is just to hold a guide that basically did nothing. The clutch cable ran between it and the fork...and it wasn't supporting the cable, but rather just kept it sitting where it was at laterally.

So....I removed it so that I could lower the clamps for the flyscreen. Does anyone know what value that guide provided? If it was to keep it from moving around too much, I can just zip tie it to the wire bundle that is around it I suppose.
Van is offline  
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 01:15 AM
Senior Member
 
Ribkick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Santa Cruz, California
Posts: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Van View Post
When I was installing my flyscreen, the position I wanted (having the screen sit right above the headlamp) ended up being blocked by the clamp on the left fork. The clamp is just to hold a guide that basically did nothing. The clutch cable ran between it and the fork...and it wasn't supporting the cable, but rather just kept it sitting where it was at laterally.

So....I removed it so that I could lower the clamps for the flyscreen. Does anyone know what value that guide provided? If it was to keep it from moving around too much, I can just zip tie it to the wire bundle that is around it I suppose.

That clamp you speak of has caused a lot of grief for many i.e. chafing the clutch cable to the point of replacement under warranty. Many have removed it with no issues so carry on.
PS: do not tie the clutch cable to any wiring.

2018 Bobber in Morello Red

Last edited by Ribkick; 07-03-2018 at 01:18 AM. Reason: clarification
Ribkick is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 06:26 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Northern Va.
Posts: 1,595
Garage
I am one of those that removed it as it was roughing up the clutch cable.

I think the one on the Bobber Black doesn't present such an issue.
muensterDeath is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 04:10 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 53
Garage
I had removed mine and just let the cable move around happy on its own. Once I made the switch to the high bars it comes with a new cable guide with a different position so now I am using that.

Calmer than you are...
Eric Heimbach is online now  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 09:12 PM
Senior Member
 
Guffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Fife, Scotland
Posts: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Heimbach View Post
I had removed mine and just let the cable move around happy on its own. Once I made the switch to the high bars it comes with a new cable guide with a different position so now I am using that.
I just noticed the cable chafing on my bike. Amazed that this issue hasn’t been treated to a recall. Going to get in touch with my dealer about this.

P.S. I like your reference to the Big Lebowski there!
Guffer is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 09:24 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 53
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guffer View Post
I just noticed the cable chafing on my bike. Amazed that this issue hasn’t been treated to a recall. Going to get in touch with my dealer about this.

P.S. I like your reference to the Big Lebowski there!
I believe they did issue a recall. The bobber black has the updated bracket and the dealer should swap it out for you or just take it off and you should be just fine.

Calmer than you are...
Eric Heimbach is online now  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 07:00 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Northern Va.
Posts: 1,595
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Heimbach View Post
I believe they did issue a recall. The bobber black has the updated bracket and the dealer should swap it out for you or just take it off and you should be just fine.
I will need to remember this and give them a call to ask. I'll head to the dealer late summer to get the V&H tune, and see if they can't address it then.
muensterDeath is online now  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Van
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 14
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I’m going to leave it off then. It didn’t seem to do anything anyway in terms of support or guiding the cable.
Van is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-2018, 11:03 PM
Member
 
Northern bobber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 91
No recall in Canada. I just remove mine. I sent to pictures to the nearest dealer (8 hours away) of my chaffed clutch cable and they ordered a new one. I will be bringing it in for it annual service they will install it then.
Northern bobber is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 12:43 AM
Senior Member
 
PFEN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Alsace - France
Posts: 459
photos post N*13

https://www.triumphbobberforum.com/f...h-cable-2.html

765RS,Speed3R,ThruxtonR,T120,ThruxtonClassic,Thrux tonEFI,HDSlim,48,NightRoad,DynaGlide,Roadking,Héri tage,900CBR,1500F6C,1100ZRX,1200Bandit,1100Zéphir, 1000CBR,750SRAD,VMax,750&1000GSXR,750Stinger,FJ120 0,500XT,Ténéré,GS1000&750,GT750&380,RDX,K5..
PFEN is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome