Nobody waves anymore - Triumph Bobber Forum
 46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 04:07 AM Thread Starter

Nobody waves anymore

Was out for a run yesterday around the Fife/Edinburgh/Clackmannanshire/Perth & Kinross areas. Loads of other bikes on the roads as well.

Doing as I have done for the last 35 years of riding, I acknowledge other riders with a wave or a head nod at least.

Only 2 other riders responded during the whole afternoon!

I have noticed that this lack of communication between bikers has been on the rise over the past several years in the UK at least. Is it a generational thing? Is it happening in other countries as well? Is it just me?!
post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 04:19 AM
Super Moderator

Big biking community here in Spain and itís very rare that another biker doesnít wave back or nod - no matter age or generation.

I admit that I donít acknowledge or say hi to maxi scooter riders (tmax and the likes). They are usually too busy annoying other riders and drivers anyway.
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 04:25 AM

Garage
Round town, unless its a regular on the commute or another trumpet, generally not, out of town I do, do i get ignored, **** yes!

================================================== =============
0-60 in .......oh! wait.... I really don't care anymore (but it's still 1200cc of raw throbbing Trumpet so bugger off Mr.Scooter!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 04:36 AM

I would say that here in Southern Germany, about 90% of people are waving (back).
Of course no greetings to scooters, and no greetings to 125cc bikes - which sometimes is difficult telling them apart especially if they are Enduros. So in case of doubt, I wait for them to greet first ;-)

However the rate with the Bobber seems to be a bit higher, since even "academic twice a year Harley riders" figure out this is a big bike coming their way. With my 550 Kawa, some riders do not greet back :-(

Tom
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 06:58 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
It's 50/50 around where I am. I typically always give the low wave unless on a dual garageway with large split median.
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guffer View Post
Was out for a run yesterday around the Fife/Edinburgh/Clackmannanshire/Perth & Kinross areas. Loads of other bikes on the roads as well.

Doing as I have done for the last 35 years of riding, I acknowledge other riders with a wave or a head nod at least.

Only 2 other riders responded during the whole afternoon!

I have noticed that this lack of communication between bikers has been on the rise over the past several years in the UK at least. Is it a generational thing? Is it happening in other countries as well? Is it just me?!
They might have thought you were English.
LordLoveRocket71 likes this.
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 09:00 AM

Iíve lived in Silicon Valley the previous eight years and now live in Austin, Texas. Unless theyíre 1%-ers, most motorcyclists wave here. The other exceptions will be when youíre lane sharing (too focused) or the on-coming side of an interstate highway.

Ď18 Bobber Black, apes, LED signals, Dart Piranha, Corbin solo
post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 09:05 AM
Roy

Garage
Hi Guffer,

Interesting observation and sad to hear this is happening in your area. There is a huge motorcycling presence in these parts (Northern New Mexico) and overwhelmingly Harley riders. Almost without exception 'all' wave, so that's nice to see this communication still very prominent.

Although when I first came to the US the style of this 'hello' took some getting used to as in the UK we would always just put our left hand up, whereas here the form is to hold the arm out to the left and point. As I used hand signals in the UK (no indicators) this always meant 'I'm turning left'. Pretty much used to it now, so all okay but took me a little while.

Take the lead Guffer and keep it up - the 'hellos' I mean...

Cheerio,

Roy
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 09:07 AM

Garage
No problems down south in England. Most nod their head. Iíll acknowledge anyone who nods to me first and Iíll nod to anyone on a bike over 250cc. Have found that Harley riders are the most ignorant and never nod or wave (especially when they see Iím on a Triumph!).

1960Bobber
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 09:13 AM

Here in the Southeast United States , it's about 70/30. I will tell you what I have noticed seems to affect waving. If you ride in to a non-helmet wearing state (Georgia requires helmets , and I'm ok with that) the helmeted riders wave , the non helmeted riders tend no to. That's an observation I'll picked up over the last 2 decades , having two States that don't require helmets as neighboring States.

In the end , I still have a good ride , and can't worry about why someone didn't wave back at me.
ysoslo, 1960Bobber and Irisheye like this.

So far behind , I think I'm in first place.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page