Airbox Elimination - Triumph Bobber Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

Airbox Elimination

So I know I've seen a few posts about this, just wanted to add my opinion after doing the mod myself...

I have a Bobber Black, spent too much money on mods, but couldn't resist this one.

I love the looks of the pod filters, makes the bike look more like a real bobber IMO. They also produce a phenomenal roar on intake and it wakes up the whole bike.

I got the waterproof filter 'kit' from A&J Cycles, great guys there, and I had an issue attaching the filters only because I wasn't positioning the clamp far enough back at the end of the filter (good thing I work with computers, not bikes). Other than that I had to shave off some of the support bracket for the old intake system (couldn't remove because it's holding some electrical connector so I shaved it down) and it worked great.

If I were to do it again, the only thing I would change would be to do what another member on here did and make my own cover for the electronics, as I bought the VIBA harness cover and honestly I think it's an overpriced piece of flimsy plastic material... it does the job ~okay~ but I think I could have made a better one out of leather like that other member did, but I already paid for it and needed a cover, so oh well, I'll live with it!

Other than that, it sounds amazing, looks 'mean', and puts a giant smile on my face every time I give it throttle.
So, if you like the look, I say go for it and do the mod, other than the cover, it's pretty cheap for the filters and crankcase breather, and the smiles per dollar is off the charts!

Hope this helps anyone thinking about it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1036.jpg
Views:	799
Size:	244.1 KB
ID:	25815   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1035.jpg
Views:	792
Size:	304.8 KB
ID:	25817   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1034.jpg
Views:	701
Size:	320.8 KB
ID:	25819  
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator

I do like the look of the bike with the airbox gone and pod filters in place. Good job!
CaptainFrench likes this.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 09:49 AM

I'd love to do this eventually, it looks really clean!

How long did the install take you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 09:53 AM

Garage
Have you had any issues with the check engine light coming on after the filter install? I just put them on and was greeted with that light on the cluster and im wondering if it will go away after a few miles or if something is going on.

Calmer than you are...
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Heimbach View Post
Have you had any issues with the check engine light coming on after the filter install? I just put them on and was greeted with that light on the cluster and im wondering if it will go away after a few miles or if something is going on.
Nope haven't had any issues. Did you make sure to plug the air intake sensor back in after removing it from the left side airbox? It really shouldn't trip any codes/issues as you are replacing all connections fully anyways. I'd go back through and make sure nothing came loose if I were you before taking a trip to the dealer.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaughan1 View Post
I'd love to do this eventually, it looks really clean!

How long did the install take you?
Not too long, most annoying part for me was shaving that bracket down for the filters to fit. Airbox comes out in maybe 20 minutes, tops. Everything else goes on in another 30 minutes. It's not too bad of a job
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 10:07 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainFrench View Post
Nope haven't had any issues. Did you make sure to plug the air intake sensor back in after removing it from the left side airbox? It really shouldn't trip any codes/issues as you are replacing all connections fully anyways. I'd go back through and make sure nothing came loose if I were you before taking a trip to the dealer.
Yea I made sure to remove the sensor from the left side box and attached it to the frame. Was there only one sensor or did the right box have one as well? I do not remember seeing it when taking them off.

Calmer than you are...
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Heimbach View Post
Yea I made sure to remove the sensor from the left side box and attached it to the frame. Was there only one sensor or did the right box have one as well? I do not remember seeing it when taking them off.
Just the left side. That's interesting, then. I removed the sensor and connector from the box and also attached to the frame.

Might be worth a trip to your local parts store to borrow an OBD-II computer to see what the code is.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 11:24 AM
Vendor

Looks great!
CaptainFrench likes this.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AandJCycles View Post
Looks great!
All thanks to you guys!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page