Are we expecting too much? - Triumph Bobber Forum
 33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

Are we expecting too much?

A saw. A spanner. A screwdriver. Each tool limited to a specific task - we don't try to cut wood with the screwdriver because we accept that it wasn't designed to do that. It's got me thinking though, why do we try to get our Bobbers to go faster, travel further, carry more, stop quicker, lean better, illuminate brighter, sound louder, ride smoother, more comfortable and so on? Are we expecting too much from the humble Bobber or should we accept that sometimes a screwdriver will just screw? Ah, the joys of sitting in the sun with a glass, philosophising!
Rocky and Guffer like this.
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

I know what's coming - "You need to stop thinking and get out and ride" 😂
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 10:01 AM
Roy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by daggartuk View Post
A saw. A spanner. A screwdriver. Each tool limited to a specific task - we don't try to cut wood with the screwdriver because we accept that it wasn't designed to do that. It's got me thinking though, why do we try to get our Bobbers to go faster, travel further, carry more, stop quicker, lean better, illuminate brighter, sound louder, ride smoother, more comfortable and so on? Are we expecting too much from the humble Bobber or should we accept that sometimes a screwdriver will just screw? Ah, the joys of sitting in the sun with a glass, philosophising!

You make a good point.

The only thing I'm looking to do with my Bobber 'is get it home'..!

Nine days since I ordered it and I'm chomping at the bit.

Cheerio,

Roy
DevilDog likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 10:10 AM

Garage
Well said. The basic design was what attracted us all in the first place. But, doing those mods is sure fun.
eisen77 and Rocky like this.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 10:11 AM

Mine 100 percent stock. I want to change nothing
DevilDog and Guffer like this.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

Definitely not expecting too much. But there is certainly a great deal of satisfaction in making the bike ďmineĒ. Which for me & my Bobber means smoother, more comfortable, as little chrome as possible and to be seen better (led light).
For others, it may mean making it into a tourer or daily commute bike - and that is great too as they can make the bike theirs. I say go for it!

My bike still remains humble & true to the original (Triumph) Bobber look, but little touches like upgrades brakes, suspension and seat make it so much more pleasurable for me to ride.

In my opinion, almost every production bike built has been to a built to a budget (and emissions/sound regulations) and is therefore by default made to be changed, modified & upgraded to please its owner. Bike life would be so boring and dull otherwise.
BOBBYP, ysoslo, jerrman and 6 others like this.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 12:54 PM

As long as there are vehicles and bikes there will be modders and customisers for them! It's all part of the fun!
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daggartuk View Post
Are we expecting too much from the humble Bobber or should we accept that sometimes a screwdriver will just screw? Ah, the joys of sitting in the sun with a glass, philosophising!
I had BMW R1200SG. I had a giant BMW tool kit with all kinds of tools, a tire pump, a tire repair kit, a roadside flair kit, and a first aid kit. I never used any of that stuff.

Triumph Bobber Black
Porsche Macan Sport Edition (Black)
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 02:40 AM

When I bought my Bobber my wife said you are not going to change or add anything are you? I said no, winked and she laughed. She knows me too well. I just canít help making it look just a little cooler! 😎
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 07:34 AM

When I first saw the Bobber, I was actually expecting less! The fact that the bike handles as well as it does (within the limits of the footpegs), is comfortable (to me anyway) and goes like a train defies all my preconceptions.

Triumph pretty much nailed the Bobber straight off so I didn't alter mine much at all - just a short rear mudguard, side mounted number plate, small mirror and a set of Vance and Hines (all from the Triumph catalogue). To me it looks perfect now. The stock engine performance matches the style of the bike perfectly so I'm not bothering trying to mess around with that.

All I want to do now is ride it as much as I can!
gfspencer and Guzzilazz like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page