Love the Cardo PackTalk! - Triumph Bobber Forum
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 12:11 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Love the Cardo PackTalk!

My riding buddy and I picked up the PackTalk Duo (2-pack) communicators a few weeks ago, and finally got around to taking our first ride with them today. What a huge difference in the level of enjoyment of our ride! If you're even a little bit interested in a helmet communicator, I highly recommend giving these a look. There are lots of Bluetooth communication devices out there, but the PackTalk has Dynamic Mesh Communication (DMC) technology that allows the devices to link up automatically over and over again once they've been linked up initially.

We put on roughly 300 miles today, riding along the Mississippi River from the Twin Cities down to Winona. It was cool and overcast, but a fantastic ride with beautiful bluffs and lots of lake and river views. The best part though, was that we were each able to link our PackTalks to our phones, so we could listen to our own music while getting directions via Google Maps and talk to each other about anything and everything while riding down the road at 60-75mph while hearing clearly. The PackTalk isn't super cheap, but at a little under $400 for 2 of them shipped to my home, I figure it's money well-spent if it saves either of us from a single accident by being able to communicate a hazzard of some sort (vehicle pulling out, deer or other animal near the road etc) that we're able to avoid that would otherwise have caused an accident. Not to mention the simplicity of being able to say 'Hey, I'll need to stop for gas pretty soon," or "Watch out for this truck pulling out," or "Should we pass this slowpoke now or hold off?" Such a stress reducer!

No, I'm not affiliated with Cardo in any way. I just love how easy this product is to use, and how much it improved the quality of our ride today.

On a separate note, holy cow is the original Bobber seat so much more comfortable for me that the brown quilted seat! Amazing how much of a difference there was today!
eisen77 and BOBBYP like this.

Each one matters.
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 12:47 AM

Garage
I have had Cardo Scala / Schuberth C3 comms system for many years... I'm sure the newer devices will be better, but they're pretty good none the less

Larry

Essex UK

2018 Bonnie Speedmaster Jet Black with Highway pack (less bags) and rider footboards
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 01:46 AM
Super Moderator

I ride motorcycles because I don't want to talk to my fellow humans...
Bobber-Bomb, MX429, Leon and 3 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 04:09 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychopasta View Post
Saves bruises to the kidneys when the wife is on the back
Forjox likes this.

Larry

Essex UK

2018 Bonnie Speedmaster Jet Black with Highway pack (less bags) and rider footboards
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 07:21 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzzilazz View Post
Saves bruises to the kidneys when the wife is on the back
I bought the Bobber so there wasn't the missus on the back.....(j/k, but yes, I wanted a single seater...)
Forjox and Leon like this.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 07:45 AM

Garage
My riding buddies and I use SENA brand communications and love it. ysoslo, everything you mentioned are the exact reason we love them for long rides.
eisen77 likes this.

Riding Free
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 08:37 AM
Roy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychopasta View Post

I must confess gents I'm a Luddite by nature so tend to agree with this statement.

I remember when the first such 'intercom' devices came available (going back a few years now) and a couple of friends had them but think whey were just rider/pillion etc. I do see the advantage and pleased many of you are getting enjoyment out of them, good on you. I don't think they are for me though as I'm more into the solitary experience of just me and my bike.

Each to their own though and I'm always pleased to hear about such new products as one never knows.

Cheerio and ride safe,

Roy
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 10:26 AM

It helped me teach my wife to ride. Rather than trying to remember hazards we seen during our rides and talk about it later we could discuss them in real time.
ysoslo likes this.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 12:29 PM

I've been running the Scala Rider Q3 for years and have it paired with a buddies. I enjoy bantering , and when I'm by myself , I enjoy music. Beats trying to mind read when you're riding with others.
ysoslo likes this.

So far behind , I think I'm in first place.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I agree with all of you. I like the solitude of riding solo sometimes, and those are the times when the tunes and GPS instructions through my helmet are nice. And the communication when others are along for the ride is nice too. The biggest difference with the PackTalk vs other brands and models, is the DMC technology. No needs to sync up whenever someone leaves and rejoins the group, like you have to do with Bluetooth devices like the Senas and older Cardo models. The ease of use is what sold me on them, for sure. They may not be for everyone, but even my buddy's 73yr old dad has found the PackTalk to be a breeze to operate after a few rides to learn the 3 buttons and scroll wheel on it. Just figured I'd let you guys know that this new technology does indeed live up to the hype.
eisen77, BOBBYP, MikeB and 2 others like this.

Each one matters.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page