125cc cruiser... first bike options? - Triumph Bobber Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
125cc cruiser... first bike options?

Hi all.

A good friend of mine whoís become smitten with my Bobber Black has within moments of looking over the bike booked his CBT... if thatís not an advertisement for be Bobbers I donít know what is?!

Heís wants to get himself a 125cc to get some miles under his built before moving onto something more capable and very much likes the cruiser look.

Heís spotted this... can anyone tell me if they are any good but it seems like a **** of a lot of money given what it is and itís age to me?

https://www.ridedmc.co.uk/used-honda...d-kent-1406059

Iíd be keen to hear your thoughts on this bike and any other suggestions you might have regarding other options worth a look?
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 12:38 PM

Garage
No specific experience of that bike, but my experience of Jap customs isn't good. Ask yourself why they aren't being sold in the UK any more... I'd go for a standard Yamahammer 125 or Honda CG 125 replacement.
ysoslo and Mike J Commo like this.

Larry

Essex UK

2018 Bonnie Speedmaster Jet Black with Highway pack (less bags) and rider footboards
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 04:17 PM
Super Moderator

They are used quite a lot as rental bikes here in Spain.
Very reliable but parts can be pretty expensive when it comes time to replace/service them. And can look tatty/rusted/pitted if not cared for.
Not sure about price, but it seems very expensive to me at first glance. But maybe that’s cause of the very low mileage and condition.
As a first bike, I would not go for a bike in mint condition like the one in your link. But a cheaper one may be a good choice if that’s the style he’s looking for.

Just for comparisons sake; A Y2K bike in good condition with 30,000km will sell for around 2100 euros here in Spain (from a dealer). So may be found even cheaper privately. But obviously prices in the UK and Spain can differ dramatically...
Mike J Commo likes this.

Last edited by eisen77; 06-03-2018 at 11:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 08:27 PM

Garage
Congrats on you mate

Little 125 V twin, better torque than a std 125 single but still, lot of money for an X reg....

Spares wise always go to Dave Silvers for Honda bit's, if he does not have it, you won't find it anywhere (Got me a CBX1000 original exhaust quote years ago.... got a micron instead as it was 10% of the price lol)
Mike J Commo likes this.

================================================== =============
0-60 in .......oh! wait.... I really don't care anymore (but it's still 1200cc of raw throbbing Trumpet so bugger off Mr.Scooter!)
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 04:11 AM

I know a guy who has just passed and recently purchased a 125, couldn't tell you what it is. Anyways, didn't take him long but the bigger bike desire is now in him. From personal experience, start riding, what you set out to ride in the first place. Getting different bikes before your dream bike just cost money and aggravation.
Mike J Commo likes this.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordLoveRocket71 View Post
I know a guy who has just passed and recently purchased a 125, couldn't tell you what it is. Anyways, didn't take him long but the bigger bike desire is now in him. From personal experience, start riding, what you set out to ride in the first place. Getting different bikes before your dream bike just cost money and aggravation.
I couldnít agree more... I hadnít ridden for nearly 15 years before buying the BB... I didnít see the point of farting around with smaller bikes knowing full well what I wanted. I did suggest that he at least buys a 600cc and just has it restricted until he has his full licence and is ready to derestrict the bike. At least then it wonít look like a toy and itíll sound reasonable too!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 10:35 AM

Can't comment on the 125cc but I did have the Honda VTX1300 which build quality wise was top notch - in fact the only thing which let it down was it was too good, too perfect and lacked any lumpiness if you know what I mean. That said, I cut my teeth on a CG125 which I felt was perfect for learning your way round a bike and would recommend it to any beginner.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 09:58 PM

Why 125cc? Is that a beginner cc limit or license type for the area?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 12:45 AM

Garage
Beginner License limit prior to taking test... Except... you can drive (IIRC) 50kw under instruction providing you're over 21 and get what's known as "Direct Access", other wise it's 125, then no more than 50kw for two years before you can ride unlimited...

Larry

Essex UK

2018 Bonnie Speedmaster Jet Black with Highway pack (less bags) and rider footboards
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzzilazz View Post
Beginner License limit prior to taking test... Except... you can drive (IIRC) 50kw under instruction providing you're over 21 and get what's known as "Direct Access", other wise it's 125, then no more than 50kw for two years before you can ride unlimited...
Ok. I figured it was something along those lines. We donít have those limits except for younger riders. You can get a motorcycle license at 15 here but it has to be 250cc and under.

Honda Rebels make good beginner bikes here. This is one I built and now my 15 year old son rides it. I know they make a 125cc version as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BCEA9D4D-AD0C-4C6C-A493-85DB370BA3C9.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	454.8 KB
ID:	25050  

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page