What a choice !! - Triumph Bobber Forum
 38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Question What a choice !!

Hi All
Just joined the site, live in UK and been reading LOTS here. Just a quick easy ? question. Do I buy the "standard" Bobber or the "Bobber Black" ?
At least a £1000 difference here in the UK, i could use it to upgrade/change things on the standard.
post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 07:49 PM

Garage
Welcome to the site! There have been a few people asking this same question, and all of the answers come down to the same thing. You should give them both a good test ride and she which one speaks to you. Some guys like the beefier front end and blacked-out look on the Bobber Black, and others like the more classic look of the original Bobber. Give them a try and make your choice, because there isn't a wrong answer. They're both great machines with their own personalities.
MikeB, Psychopasta, Skykop and 4 others like this.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 08:24 PM

Garage
Itís all down to personal taste of course but for me the Bobber Black offers great value for that extra £1000 and there is no way you could add the upgrades the BB affords as standard, namely twin discs and calipers, beefier front forks and cruise control for anything like £1000.

As wisely suggested already Iíd book a test ride of both and make your mind up from there.
didakpc likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 02:05 AM
Super Moderator

I also agree with the comments above.
There is no way to choose for you; a test ride of both is definitely in order (back to back if possible) and as Mike already stated - there are clear advantages to buying the BB with many ®upgrades® already installed for minimum cost.
But it comes down to the simple fact that there is no wrong choice.
Skykop, Mike J Commo and Bobber7 like this.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 05:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike J Commo View Post
It’s all down to personal taste of course but for me the Bobber Black offers great value for that extra £1000 and there is no way you could add the upgrades the BB affords as standard, namely twin discs and calipers, beefier front forks and cruise control for anything like £1000.

As wisely suggested already I’d book a test ride of both and make your mind up from there.
Cheers guys for the comments. Is twin discs really needed on this bike ? also i guess it makes it harder to clean the wheel/spokes. I want to put fwd foot controls on it, (i used to ride an Indian Scout so like the feet fwd)
Mike J Commo likes this.

Last edited by bofor; 05-13-2018 at 05:18 AM.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 05:23 AM Thread Starter

Also forgot to add, i will change the shock for a Hagon one as well
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 05:32 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bofor View Post
Cheers guys for the comments. Is twin discs really needed on this bike ? also i guess it makes it harder to clean the wheel/spokes. I want to put fwd foot controls on it, (i used to ride an Indian Scout so like the feet fwd)
One of the concerns/ negatives mentioned over and over again by all of the biking press and then owners alike was the short comings of the front brake. It is widely considered to require too much force to get it to wake up and the feel is said to be a little wooden and vague.

I went for a test ride on the Bobber and Bobber Black back to back, starting with the former. I have to say having read all of the reviews I was expecting the front brake to be a lot worse and at the end hopped off thinking that wasn’t so bad at all. I then jumped on the BB and headed out... the difference was immediately identifiable even at lower speeds but become blindingly obvious when pushing on and within just a few minutes of riding my mind had been made up.

The Bobber’s are quick bikes make no mistake and they aren’t exactly light so being able to stop pretty **** quick and as efficiently as possible is high on my list of must have’s. Let’s put it this way... I much prefer the look of the fatter front end on the BB but if the Bobber was in fact the bike that had the better brake set up then that is the bike that would be in my garage.

Cleaning the wheels on the BB is plenty easy enough also by the way lol
didakpc likes this.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 12:04 PM

The non black, personally, I think stays more true to the original Bobber style (me being a Black owner). I liked the look of the fatter tyre and having twin discs that was what did it for me. The Black personally speaking is too Black. I think slightly less Black would have been better, and will need constant cleaning to keep in A1 condition, shows all dirt. That said I am most happy after a ride and cleaning. Either way you won't be disappointed, great fun to ride, sounds lovely, and will turn heads and get lots of positive comments. The Triumph dealers I spoke to were very friendly and more than willing to talk and arrange a ride, give it a go and see what you think.
eisen77 likes this.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 08:16 PM

I have the bobber black as well, I like the brakes but just wish it came in colors instead of black. I have a supermoto and that only has one disc so the regular bobber wasnt that bad.
Mike J Commo likes this.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 02:15 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigma pi View Post
I have the bobber black as well, I like the brakes but just wish it came in colors instead of black. I have a supermoto and that only has one disc so the regular bobber wasnt that bad.
Cheaper to have the tank and fenders sprayed to a colour of your choice than to upgrade the brakes, front shocks, headlamp and to have cruise control fitted

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page