Warning: Motodemic LED Headlamp is NOT Plug and Play with the Bobber Black - Triumph Bobber Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By hungry_panda
  • 2 Post By MikeB

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 12:11 AM Thread Starter

Warning: Motodemic LED Headlamp is NOT Plug and Play with the Bobber Black

I wrote about it in another thread, but wanted to make sure that everyone was aware that the Motodemic LED headlight upgrade (Standard or Adaptive) is NOT plug and play with the 2018 Bobber Black.

I found out the hard way. I pulled the Motodemic adaptive LED headlight out of my 2017 Bobber before trading it in. This weekend I attempted to install it into my Bobber Black. When I opened up the headlamp bucket I realized that the Triumph LED headlight connects to the Bobber Black under the gas tank instead of in the bucket like the original Bobber. I didn't install the adaptive headlight into my Bobber Black as I didn't have time to lift the tank and potentially lengthen the wiring on the Motodemic adaptive LED headlight. Also, I don't know if the Bobber Black is fitted with a standard H4 connector or a different type of connector. Unfortunately the Haynes Service & Repair Manual does help as it's for the 2017 Bobber. But when I look at the photo of the "Triumph LED Headlight Kit" the connector looks different as it has 4 wires:

LED Headlight Kit | Triumph Motorcycles

So if you have a Bobber Black, don't buy the Motodemic LED headlight upgrade (Standard or Adaptive) until it's (hopefully) available for the Bobber Black.

Anyone buying from A&J Cycle shouldn't make this mistake as it's not offered as a selection if you shop by vehicle and select "Bobber Black 2018+". I'm not certain if this is the same with other sellers.

Last edited by MikeB; 05-08-2018 at 12:15 AM.
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 12:37 AM
Vendor

Good to know Mike, I will let Motodemic know and hopefully he can make a wiring adapter. Just curious, did the light physically fit? Thanks
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

I can't say for certain as I didn't fully remove the OEM headlight because the connector was under the tank. My suspicion is that it will certainly fit. The Motodemic light appears to be not as deep as the OEM headlight. In the next 2-3 weeks I'm planning to lift the tank to install the X-Arc front signals and an extended Booster Plug. When I do, I'll fully remove the headlight and will confirm whether the Motodemic headlight fits.

Put me down for a wiring adapter if Motodemic makes one!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 01:31 PM

Did you reach out to Motodemic? From my experience, they are extremely helpful and will probably have a solution for you pretty quick.
eisen77 likes this.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungry_panda View Post
Did you reach out to Motodemic? From my experience, they are extremely helpful and will probably have a solution for you pretty quick.
Great idea. I just sent them a detailed request to create an Adaptive LED headlight for the Bobber Black and/or an adapter for their headlight for the traditional Bobber.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungry_panda View Post
You're not kidding about them being quick. Within 15 minutes of sending my email I received the following response from Motodemic:

"Hello Michael,

Correct, Triumph made those changes. We have been made aware of this and are working on a fix for the harness adaption. As our LED unit still fits in the stock housing no problem.

Best"

Hopefully their engineering team is this quick in releasing a solution.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 12:48 AM Thread Starter

I followed up with another email to Motodemic. They confirmed that they will be creating an adapter kit to enable their headlight for the traditional Bobber to be installed into a Bobber Black. Great news for me as I won't be selling my adaptive LED headlight. Rather I'll be anxiously waiting for A&J Cycles to carry the adapter.
eisen77 and ysoslo like this.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 05:53 AM

Hi Mike...question...as the Bobber Black already has a LED headlight why change it for another ?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 08:59 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bofor View Post
Hi Mike...question...as the Bobber Black already has a LED headlight why change it for another ?
Motodemic's (actually, a Motodemic kit made from a JW Speaker adaptive LED headlight) light helps you see around curves and corners. Check it out on youtube...they're pretty sweet!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

Per @ysoslo , Motodemicís Adaptive LED headlight shifts the beam pattern when the bike leans so that light is directed to light the corner. Once you ride with one itís difficult to go back to a standard headlight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2018 Triumph Bobber Black, 2018 Triumph Tiger XRt

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page