Triumph Bobber Forum banner

Corbin in Black bomber jacket leather...

30K views 70 replies 32 participants last post by  gfspencer 
#1 ·
With a big sigh of relief, i can gladly say that from the moment my (not so small) a** touched down on the Corbin – I knew it was meant to be.
What a stark contrast to the OEM, Statement and Quilted seats; the Corbin is wide, supportive, cups flawlessly and feels fantastic. Dished perfectly, I sit much more in it (as opposed to feeling ¨on¨ it) and I am placed far back enough with a natural reach to my (raised) bar. The rear curve of the seat supports, but puts no pressure anywhere near my tailbone. All my weight is spead out over the seat and its immediately noticable.

The weather is horrible, so I only rode up and down my neighbourhood. But the improved comfort & seating position is so pronounced it is not even comparable to stock. Some seats take a while to get used to or need an adjustment period (like the statement), but the Corbin felt like i´d been riding on it for years – after just a few hundred meters.
To put it bluntly: the stock seat was a torture rack for me and the quilted seat feels like a padded, flat bench after sitting in the Corbin. I am not so quick to criticize the statement seat however, cause once I got used that punishingly hard plank of leather - I really enjoyed it. If it was not for my complaining coccyx I probably would not have even considered the Corbin.

Fitment was super easy and the Corbin comes with its own torx screws ready to install the Triumph nameplate and pan. I bought a black seat pan and I think it sets off the whiteish tones of the bomber jacket black leather perfectly. Speaking of whiteish tones, the color of the Corbin is VERY much like the Statement black. And they both use beautiful, soft leather. As another fellow member mentioned, it is also nice to see that that the Corbin is handmade, so it’s not machine-perfect. In turn, this gives it some character (which the statement seat also has…)

Aesthetically the seat does not look big or out of place. Yes, it has lost some of the stock seats elegance and smaller profile, but the comfort issue far outweighs the looks of slightly larger and wider seat. The black seat pan does play a part in making the whole seat assembly look smaller. Also, the aged leather gives the bike a real classic, refined yet rustic look. It’s a quality seat and it shows. For me, the Statement seat still holds number 1 spot looks-wise. But who cares once you´re sitting on it! It simply can´t hold a candle to the Corbin in the comfort competition.

I really thought I would need more time to ¨like¨ the Corbin. But the massive smile I had the moment I sat in it tells the whole story! In all honestly, I was smiling from the moment I opened the box, but held back until the last bolt was installed so I could sit on it.

When the sun comes out I will go on a long ride & see if my tailbone has found its holy grail of Bobber seats. But after many, many bikes and seats (this is my 3rd Corbin and I have had countless more aftermarket seats) my instincts tell me the Corbin is a perfect match for me.

Obviously not every bum is the same and I would say that for lighter riders with a smaller build/waist/hip build, the Corbin may not be for you. But for those of us over 96kg/6 foot+ and 36¨waist+, it is definitely worth considering (if you are not happy with the standard seat).

I will update this thread once i´ve done more riding.

Here are some pics (most are non filtered so you can see the true colors of the leather/seats)...

See less See more
#5 ·
Eisen, thanks for the great review and those comparison pictures. I love the looks of Statement seat which like you, I feel is the truest match to the stripped down Bobber style. That said, it does take some getting used to, partularly in the support area. I thought other pictures I’ve seen of the Corbin seat made it seem a bit to big for me and your comparison pix and the rider height/weight specs (I’m nowhere near those being shorter and way lighter) I’ve pretty much determined it’s probably not for me. Admittedly I know they make great seats having ridden one comfortably for years on a HD Low Rider. But since I use the Bobber for day rides and around town (my Indian Scout fills the bill for multi-day long rides) I may just go back to the Statement or recover
the original with some distressed
leather. Anyway, thanks again for this post. The best verbal and visual comparisons of the available options I’ve seen yet.

#8 ·
Thanks for your comments Jerrman. I appreciate them :smile2:
The statement will indeed be perfect for town rides and daily blasts. I am keeping mine for just those occasions - as swapping the seats out is so easy.
But as I’m planning some longer days out (200km+), I need a bit of comfort.

I also forget to mention the way I like how the rider can feel the sensations and feedback through the Statement seat. Nothing is numbed or dulled like with other padded seats.
I am going to go to some roads i know very well to test out the Corbin and to see if & how it’s heavy duty nature affects sensations in comparison. But not until the weather clears up...

#10 ·
A big thanks for the side by side and one over the other pics. Confirms (for me anyway) my statement regarding the Corbin in your thread about the quilted brown. I do like your choice of leather however. I think I'm going to get some similar color leather and recover the original seat since it was more comfortable for me than the quilted I now have on the bike. The original seat kind of reminds me of the shape of a Corbin or Seargent only smaller. I do like the quilted because it allows me to shift my weight inside on curvy roads, something you probably couldn't do on the Corbin.

#11 ·
Thanks for the report 0:)
it is difficult to reconcile aesthetics and comfort.this corbin is maybe very comfortable but I find it a little too voluminous :crying:

#19 ·
Hey Eisen, I think it looks really good and really comfy. I had a look at there website, but couldn't see pictures of each of the drop down selections. I was hoping to play about with differnt selections and then maybe pick one. How did you finally settle on your choice? I am looking for something in brown/tan.

#20 ·
Hi LLR.
I was reading reviews from the Corbin posts here on the forum. One member mentioned how he hated the “white” in the Bomber Black leather (as he was looking for a pure, deep black).
The moment he mentioned that, I knew it was the color choice for me (as it’s a near identical match to the Triumph black statement seat color). So really was an easy decision for me. I went with Bomber black sides & welts too. Boring, but played it safe!
I know that photos do not do justice to real colors. I really like the Corbin brown too and it’s available in stunning diamond stitch as well. Honestly - just far too many (correct) choices.
I think you’ll be very happy with whatever you order.
The guys at Corbin EU may be able to send you a color swatch to peruse the various colors (but I’m not 100% sure about that). Mark and Karen helped me a lot before placing my order and are always happy to advise when they can. But ultimately color combination is so personal.
Here is their email: sales@corbin-europe.com

#25 ·
Looks great and thanks for the detailed review. I just ordered the Brown Bomber Leather seat and I can’t wait for it. The dealership I bought my bobber from said they have sold a lot of the statement seats but have also had a lot of complaints about the feel of it, I guess it just comes down to priorities but I’m hoping the Corbin will accommodate both good looks and improved comfort. Ride safe!

#26 ·
Eisen excellent review and thanks for the pictures, i've been to the corbin site a least a dozen times to pick and choose leather combos and seeing it on your bike i will definitely pull the trigger on one, Just started work in Iraq so it will be a few months before i get back to Thailand and do some more riding, I already need a set of tires (14,000km) will get them too and when my leave is up I will hand it over to my triumph dealer to get completely customized, he'll have 3 months to do the work can't wait to see my vision complete. complete pearl red paint, red powdered coated rims blacked out motor chrome exhaust going it to fishtail mufflers, similar to the Bike Bro's bike

#29 ·
Louie - glad my report helped.
You’ve done a lot of riding ! I’m only getting close to 7500km now and tires are still good.

Looking forward to seeing pics of your bike complete. Sounds like the end result will be pretty spectacular!!! :smile2:

#31 ·
After a 130km round trip - i can say the Corbin is everything i hoped for.
It is comfotable, cosseting and perfectly shaped.
Road imperfections/bumbs/minor potholes are absorbed much better and my lower back is all the happier for it.
The Corbin has managed to position my body just so; reach to the bars and hip-knee-peg are spot on for me now. So neck, shoulders and lower back are far more comfortable now too (as well as my bum & tailbone...)

The only reason i came home so early is a sudden change of weather & no rain gear. Heavy, unplanned April showers in May. Lovely!! :(

Anyway, here is a pic from the quaint village of Valldemossa before the rain started...

#38 ·
Congrats big bear!
Pics once installed please...and thoughts compared to the Statement.

I’m in 2 minds whether to sell my black statement. After today’s ride, i can’t see myself ever taking off the Corbin.
I really have to start clearing out all the Bobber stuff I’ve accumulated :surprise:

#39 ·
Thanks @eisen77 for the photos and the tremendous review. Although I'm slightly lighter (77 kg) and shorter (5'8"), I decided to order one for longer rides as a result of your detailed critique. Currently my favorite seat is the statement seat for cruising around town but it's not enjoyable after an hour or two. Unfortunately, I won't get mine for another 5 weeks... they're quite busy right now... possibly as a result of your glowing review ;). I'm looking forward to experiencing the new seat. However, I'm hoping that I don't enjoy it too much to the point where I want to sell my statement seat... I think that I'd miss the statement seat.

#40 ·
Mike - I hope it brings you many, many KMs of riding pleasure.
I really could not find any fault with seat today after a mixed ride of canyon carving & motorway stretches.
Hopefully Corbin will ship out in less than 5 weeks. Mine arrived quicker than expected despite being quoted a 5 week delivery time too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.