Trailing a Bobber - Triumph Bobber Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Question Trailing a Bobber

I am looking at modding my trailer to ride my Bobber up into to travel with.

Anyone any experiences with this. It isn't a bike trailer more a general purpose trailer that I want to put a channel in.

The questions are, do I put the bike on the side stand or would it be better upright with the front wheel in one of those tube type supports used on a standard bike trailer.

Your thoughts gents and OK so I will be a trailer queen
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Having trailer-ed dirt bikes a bit, having the front wheel stand up front is a huge plus and makes it all easier. Keeping the front wheel from turning is paramount (for me). Front wheel turning allows slack on one side of the straps and that is what usually causes them to fall over.
chezqui and ysoslo like this.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 12:07 PM

Definitely do not put the bike on the side stand while trailering. I concur with @muensterDeath . Buy a front wheel chock. You won't regret it. It makes one person loading and tie down a breeze and is far more secure when trailering.
chezqui likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

These look interesting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WC06_grande.jpeg
Views:	40
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	21161   Click image for larger version

Name:	erde-ch751-trailer-ra450-2m-rail-280-p1-28.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	4.1 KB
ID:	21169  
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 05:22 PM
Super Moderator

Definitely NO side stand.
Choose your anchor points carefully and DO NOT use the bars as a tie down point.
As stated above, a front wheel chock is a very good idea when trailering.
Also, i recommend investing in good, ratchet type straps. Personally, I use MACS. Great straps and I always use 4 (2 front and 2 rear).
Though to be honest, 2 are enough.

Motorcycle packages include wheel chocks, cycle tie-downs, S-hooks, and tie-downs

I bought my MAC straps from DEMON TWEEKS in the UK. I’m not sure if they still stock them, though.

Last edited by eisen77; 04-23-2018 at 05:25 PM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 05:33 PM
Super Moderator

Just to give you an idea, depending on how much you want to invest and how far you’ll be traveling - here is a trailer version chock:
https://www.harleycustom.co.uk/produ...-stand-sc-2000

I have friends who’ve modified their trailers to allow standard style chocks to be bolted to the floor, as they drive from Mallorca to race tracks on the mainland twice a year. And they like their race bikes to be extremely secure.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eisen77 View Post
Definitely NO side stand.
Choose your anchor points carefully and DO NOT use the bars as a tie down point.
As stated above, a front wheel chock is a very good idea when trailering.
Also, i recommend investing in good, ratchet type straps. Personally, I use MACS. Great straps and I always use 4 (2 front and 2 rear).
Though to be honest, 2 are enough.

Motorcycle packages include wheel chocks, cycle tie-downs, S-hooks, and tie-downs

I bought my MAC straps from DEMON TWEEKS in the UK. I’m not sure if they still stock them, though.
Thanks for that. I actually have the straps that a bobber was delivered with, holding it to its Triumph frame and instructions of where to secure it. That was of course delivered on the side stand, which seems like a sh1t idea.

Some amazing stuff there Eisen.
eisen77 likes this.

Last edited by chezqui; 04-23-2018 at 05:38 PM.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chezqui View Post
Thanks for that. I actually have the straps that a bobber was delivered with, holding it to its Triumph frame and instructions of where to secure it. That was of course delivered on the side stand, which seems like a sh1t idea.
Trailering on the side stand can be done, but the operator really needs to know what they are doing and how much force is being placed where. I’m sure the Triumph guys do. But the average tow truck guy usually doesn’t.
When moving/trailering the bike alone, I only use the side stand to keep the bike upright until the opposite side strap is on. Once it is, I put the side stand back up.
For this reason, life is so much easier with a chock...
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 09:24 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Soft straps are a must. Has a hook loop along the strap or at an end rather than having the metal hooks near the bike.
ysoslo likes this.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 10:34 PM

Garage
I agree with all of the above. Here are the items I used to trailer my bike, and the front wheel chock was very handy when working on the exhaust last weekend. The big eyelets on the ends of the wheel chock allow you to use the soft straps and ratchet straps to buckle the front end to the chock itself. The chock also has the option of drilling through a utility trailer floor or, for a permanent installation, into a cement floor (I don't foresee ever doing that, personally).

Soft straps:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Front wheel chock: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ratchet straps:
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N7P7E...&pd_rd_w=rDiqa

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page