Dark visor too dark for night riding... options? - Triumph Bobber Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Dark visor too dark for night riding... options?

I have a Bell Bullitt black jack carbon lid which came with a dark straight visor and a clear bubble visor. I have test fitted both visors and found that I just canít come to terms with how the clear bubble visor looks, (think fishtank) so have been using the darker visor.

The above was all well and good until I encountered some lowlight/night time riding. It just isnít safe in my honest opinion due to not being able to see poteholes etc and it generally reduces vision to an unacceptable level....

I can of course just buy a straight/ clear visor but I just donít really like the look of the lid with a clear visor.

The other option is to buy some clear motorcycle glasses to slip on and to leave the visor up when needs be. Not ideal for many reasons.

The final option would be to fit an iridium visor but given that Iíve never had one of those before I donít know if it would offer better visibility compared to the dark smoke one I have. Does anyone know?

Whatís your thought gents?

Last edited by Mike J Commo; 04-19-2018 at 06:06 PM.
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 06:49 PM

for safety reasons, it's probably always a good rule of thumb to avoid using any tinted shields when riding at night (even the yellow/amber ones!). that being said, i'm kind of in the same boat as you (except i have a biltwell gringo s helmet) i don't know if the bullitts offer a "gradient" shield, but the gringo's do and they've actually worked for me at night time. well, that is with a decently-lit street. the gringo's also come with these in their "bubble" visors as well. i like how it gradiates to clear towards the bottom, so you kind of get the best of both worlds. if i find myself struggling to see at night i can simply click up the visor a little bit and have my sight be more in the "clear" part without having too much wind blowing in my eyes, so i don't need the additional clear goggles.

i do think the best bet for you is just carrying around a clear pair of goggles/foam padded glasses that you wear with your visor up during the night - can easily carry in a jacket pocket. some folks go to the extent of carrying around a clear shield with them and actually switch them out based on the situation. that's another option but much more of an inconvenience especially if the helmet you have isn't the fancy quick-change type, or if you don't have a bag or something to carry the additional shield.

also you may want to check on the laws in your area as it may be illegal to wear a tinted shield at night. so may not want to risk getting pulled over for that.

good luck! i do like the look of the bell bullitts, and may consider picking one up to add to my helmet collection.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-04-19 at 3.34.30 PM.png
Views:	24
Size:	180.6 KB
ID:	20833   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-04-19 at 3.43.49 PM.png
Views:	27
Size:	196.6 KB
ID:	20841  
Bobber-Bomb likes this.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 03:25 AM

Garage
Currently my Shoei GT air, I havent gone retro yet, using what I already own. This helmet has a clear visor and then a pop down sun shield inside, the size of a pair of glasses.

https://www.amazon.com/Shoei-GT-Air-.../dp/B00BG4ZMDY

This I really like as a design, when my friend turned up with a pop down sun shield, I mocked him at the time as my Arai with mirror visor was the coolest, but had evening issues and morning issues (dark) and swapping the visor for season changes was a nightmare.
Since I got the Shoei,(3 years) I havent taken the mirror visor off the Arai, due to the fact I havent worn it since. A lot of the open face helmets are now putting the sun shield built in and seriously its bloody brilliant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 04:19 AM

I have the Bell Bullitt also. Riding around at night with visor up just isnít an option for me. As with any helmet, the wind blast at higher speeds would catch the visor like a sail causing much discomfort.

I used to have an Arai helmet which was super easy and quick to change visors so carried an alternate visor (depending on light conditions) in a handy belt/pouch.

Despite being a great looking helmet, the Bell Bullitt is a lot more hassle and time consuming to change visors.

I just carry a pair of sunglasses for the brighter days - much less hassle even if it looks less cool.
Mike J Commo likes this.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 05:46 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guffer View Post
I have the Bell Bullitt also. Riding around at night with visor up just isnít an option for me. As with any helmet, the wind blast at higher speeds would catch the visor like a sail causing much discomfort.

I used to have an Arai helmet which was super easy and quick to change visors so carried an alternate visor (depending on light conditions) in a handy belt/pouch.

Despite being a great looking helmet, the Bell Bullitt is a lot more hassle and time consuming to change visors.

I just carry a pair of sunglasses for the brighter days - much less hassle even if it looks less cool.
Iím reaching the same conclusion
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 05:47 AM

Mike, Irridium visors won't help as they are just an irridium coating over the normal dark visor.

Before I had a GT Air, I used to carry a clear visor when I had the dark one on but that was on an Arai or Shoei which are easy to change.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 06:34 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXTony View Post
Mike, Irridium visors won't help as they are just an irridium coating over the normal dark visor.

Before I had a GT Air, I used to carry a clear visor when I had the dark one on but that was on an Arai or Shoei which are easy to change.
Hey Tony,

I thought as much but thanks for confirming.

I think Iíll invest in a clear straight visor and some decent shades and just keep my dark visor for those days when I know Iíll make it home before sundown
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 10:32 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigstocksbobber View Post
Currently my Shoei GT air, I havent gone retro yet, using what I already own. This helmet has a clear visor and then a pop down sun shield inside, the size of a pair of glasses.

This I really like as a design, when my friend turned up with a pop down sun shield, I mocked him at the time as my Arai with mirror visor was the coolest, but had evening issues and morning issues (dark) and swapping the visor for season changes was a nightmare.
Since I got the Shoei,(3 years) I havent taken the mirror visor off the Arai, due to the fact I havent worn it since. A lot of the open face helmets are now putting the sun shield built in and seriously its bloody brilliant.
Plus one on the GT Air itís also the quietest helmet Iíve ever owned and even on naked bikes you donít need ear plugs.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigstocksbobber View Post

i've been looking at these new types of helmets and think it's an awesome idea. i just haven't found a more retro-style looking one as of yet.

...now if only they would be able to develop a helmet that had a complete drop-down visor (basically like a normal clear visor, then maybe a thinner dark tinted one inside that completely slides down to fill the whole shield - not just the small glasses shaped portion that they all currently have.) so kind of like a shield within a shield. who knows, maybe the companies are working on this idea.

i also agree that especially with the current retro-styled helmets (bullitts, gringo-s), that changing the visors isn't something you'd want to do very often.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator

I also prefer the look of the Bullitt with the dark visor. I have the standard clear visor too, but have not used it even once.
Obviously driving in low light conditions with ANY kind of tinted lense is a big no-no.
So if i know iīm going to ride all day and after sunset, i usually opt for a 3/4 helmet matched with my Baruffaldi Speed 4 goggles. The goggles have tear off lenses, so 1 second & the dark lense is off - revealing the permanent clear lense. Being flexible, the dark lense is easliy stored in my side bag and replacements are cheap if it gets scratched (9 pounds sterling + shipping).
If goggles arenīt your thing and you donīt want to carry around a big visor and coin to change it, then like mentioned above your best bet is to go clear visor with sunglasses or 3/4 helmet with photocromatic sunglasses with lenses that change according to light conditions.

The Baruffaldi goggles also work great with full face, visorless helmets (like DMD).
A big thanks to @jock_rocket for introducing me to the Baruffaldi brand!

Last edited by eisen77; 04-21-2018 at 11:06 AM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page