Brake reservoir leaking SOS - Triumph Bobber Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Brake reservoir leaking SOS

Hey chaps,

As some will know I fitted a new brake reservoir top a couple of days ago. It leaks a little on my first outing and I found the two screws were not as tight as they could be... so I gave them a good nip up and thought/hoped all would be well.

Iíve headed out again tonight and Iím relatively far from home... Iíve stopped off some fuel and noticed them at there is still a little liquid just below the top cap. Itís litrelly just a couple of spot but my concern is two fold... one... itís onviously not ideal to be losing brake fluid... two... and probably my main concern is if little drips end up on my painted surfaces, (matte black) that it will destroy it.

So my questions are... a.m. I write in assuming the brake fluid will kill my paint job?

Also... is there a seal or sealant that I should be using? Itís nice and tight now so canít quite understand where Iím going wrong.

Any advice or words of comfort prior to me heading home would be welcomed?
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 03:18 PM

My understanding is that brake fluid will destroy your paint if it sits on it for an extended period of time (e.g. at least overnight) and short exposure to brake fluid will not harm the paint. That said, I expect that the matt paint may be more susceptible to damage.

I experienced a leak once on my T100 after swapping out the MC cover. Like you, I tightened the screws but the leak persisted. I swapped back to the OEM cover and the leak stopped. To me, it didn't make any sense why the aftermarket MC cover would result in a leak. So later I installed the aftermarket MC cover again and there wasn't any leak. My only suspicion was that the new MC cover wasn't seated properly. Also, I ensured that the handlebars were square for several minutes before installing the aftermarket MC cover to minimize any brake fluid contact with the edges of the plastic cap that sits underneath the cover.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike J Commo View Post
Hey chaps,

As some will know I fitted a new brake reservoir top a couple of days ago. It leaks a little on my first outing and I found the two screws were not as tight as they could be... so I gave them a good nip up and thought/hoped all would be well.

Iíve headed out again tonight and Iím relatively far from home... Iíve stopped off some fuel and noticed them at there is still a little liquid just below the top cap. Itís litrelly just a couple of spot but my concern is two fold... one... itís onviously not ideal to be losing brake fluid... two... and probably my main concern is if little drips end up on my painted surfaces, (matte black) that it will destroy it.

So my questions are... a.m. I write in assuming the brake fluid will kill my paint job?

Also... is there a seal or sealant that I should be using? Itís nice and tight now so canít quite understand where Iím going wrong.

Any advice or words of comfort prior to me heading home would be welcomed?
I suggest putting the stock one back on and see if the issue stops. Perhaps the new lid is defective.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thank guys Iíll let you know how I get on
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Ok... so never being one to give up easily I’ve taken the top off and assessed. The rubber that creates the seal was a little wonky so I’ve given it a good wipe to remove any excesss fluid, reseated it and this time I tightened the screws that hold the top in place a bit at a time just to ensure and even clamp from side to side is created. Also as suggested I levelled off the bike to remove any lean whilst carrying out the above.

What’s people’s thoughts on how tight to make the screws... as tight as possible within reason or just nipped up?

Last edited by Mike J Commo; 04-18-2018 at 05:17 PM.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 08:35 PM

As tight as possible without stripping or damaging the screw. Put the new cover on a piece of glass or a known flat surface and make sure it is not warped!
ysoslo likes this.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 08:53 PM

Is it possible that there was some fluid on the gasket and the drops you saw were the result of squeezing the fluid out when tightening the cap? And yes, brake fluid is kriptonite to painted surfaces.

Chico
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 09:15 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Didn't you say you used to stock screws as opposed to the ounces that came with the new lid? Maybe try the ones that came with the new lid. Not sure why it would make a difference, but small tolerances can when it comes to fluids.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 02:49 AM

You could try the old school method and put a sweat band round it, like those that tennis players wear. That will mop up any possible leaks, use a white one you will be able to see leak on fabric until you have got to bottom of problem.
Mike J Commo likes this.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 03:13 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordLoveRocket71 View Post
You could try the old school method and put a sweat band round it, like those that tennis players wear. That will mop up any possible leaks, use a white one you will be able to see leak on fabric until you have got to bottom of problem.
I like Your thinking

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page