Looking for some help - Triumph Bobber Forum
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 06:07 AM Thread Starter

Looking for some help

I recently had surgery for Prostrate cancer. I had a prostatectomy where the prostrate was removed.
I'm in recovery 4 months and can now hopefully get back on the bike. Only thing is the seat I have is particularly uncomfortable and I was hoping someone might know where I could go to get a more padded seat -even custom made.im based in Ireland but would pay for shipping if needed. The choices here seem limited. Any help appreciated.
post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 06:17 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG View Post
I recently had surgery for Prostrate cancer. I had a prostatectomy where the prostrate was removed.
I'm in recovery 4 months and can now hopefully get back on the bike. Only thing is the seat I have is particularly uncomfortable and I was hoping someone might know where I could go to get a more padded seat -even custom made.im based in Ireland but would pay for shipping if needed. The choices here seem limited. Any help appreciated.
I’m sorry to hear about your health problems but it’s great news that you’ll soon be getting back on a bike. Just a thought, it might be worth checking out whether there’s a way to fit the comfort seat from the Speedmaster to the Bobber?
BigG likes this.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 06:53 AM
Super Moderator

First of all, i wish you a quick and speedy recovery.

Choices for the Bobber are limited and yout have not mentioned budget.
So, i would say if budget is not a factor THE best choice for you would be a DAY LONG seat from the USA. These guys will make a seat designed specifically for you and any issues you have.
I have had a number of their seats; both service and quality are fantastic. There may be a waiting list, though and you will have to pay shipping + import duties which will be expensive.
They will use your existing seat, so you will be seat-less while they work on it.
Also, the seat probably won´t look ¨good¨. Will be (in my opinion) a case of function over aesthetics.

Secondly, try to find a company within the UK that can reshape and refoam the seat for you.
I have no first hand experience with any such firms in the UK, so can´t recommend anyone personally.

Anthony Mclaughlin from the UK Facebook Bobber Group did a nice recover job. Maybe you could contact him?
I have spoken to him and he is very friendly. Though i do not know if he has experience with actually RESHAPING a seat. If not, maybe he can recommend someone.
Here is a screenshot of his work:

Third option is a Corbin. But there are very limited reviews regarding their seat and refunds are a complete no-no (i spoke to Corbin UK and they confirmed this).
I have a coccyx issue/pain and asked what happens if the seat does not resolve my issue. They just copy-pasted some spiel about comfort and said that they cannot offer a refund under any circumstances. Simply NOT good enough if i am going to spend 520GBP.

I am still weighing up all 3 options above.
Bobber-Bomb and chezqui like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 06:58 AM

Great info Elsen.
eisen77 likes this.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 07:01 AM

Garage
I had my seat re-leathered at "TFI trimmers" of Exeter, Devon, they will do a straight cover or they can add additional foams of mixed density at your request. I just had my seat re-leathered. For prices it always depends on materials used.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bomber seat.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	19826   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20180123_19_03_59_Pro.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	302.8 KB
ID:	19834  
eisen77, BigG and 1960Bobber like this.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 07:43 AM
Super Moderator

Just messaged Anthony.
Here is his reponse:

¨Thankyou very much. I can do foam reshaping ad cell pads etc. [email protected] is my email if he wants it I can see exactly what he needs. My friend owns a company in Glasgow also and he is the best I know at bike seats. This is his company house of custom.¨

He also told me that he is about to start another Bobber seat today - and will send me pics once done.
Here are some pics of the seat he did in January:

post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 07:49 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
[/QUOTE]

Not to derail this thread, interesting tank job on the bike. Scales on one side, a sort of sun burst on the other, but what is going on at the end of the side bag? Looks like license plate bracket, but something more between it and the bag. Could just be my eyes....

NVRMND - Its a gas bottle! Looks awesome.
1960Bobber likes this.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Not to derail this thread, interesting tank job on the bike. Scales on one side, a sort of sun burst on the other, but what is going on at the end of the side bag? Looks like license plate bracket, but something more between it and the bag. Could just be my eyes....

NVRMND - Its a gas bottle! Looks awesome.
1960Bobber likes this.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 01:40 PM
Super Moderator

Hey BigG,

Very sorry to hear of your medical condition. I have a very good friend who has been through the wars with that very same problem.

Remember there's no magic about motorcycle seats. Any good upholsterer would be able to turn his/her hand to this. Here in the states lots of people get motorcycle seats rebuilt by people who do horse saddlery as their main business. Automotive reuphosterers also get used a lot.

So, you might look outside the motorcycle community and check out the custom car scene, horsey folk and the like. I'm sure that doing a one-to-one session with a good seat builder will be better than motorcycle-specific experience from further afield.

Good luck in any case! - Pasta
Mike the Bike likes this.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eisen77 View Post
First of all, i wish you a quick and speedy recovery.

Choices for the Bobber are limited and yout have not mentioned budget.
So, i would say if budget is not a factor THE best choice for you would be a DAY LONG seat from the USA. These guys will make a seat designed specifically for you and any issues you have.
I have had a number of their seats; both service and quality are fantastic. There may be a waiting list, though and you will have to pay shipping + import duties which will be expensive.
They will use your existing seat, so you will be seat-less while they work on it.
Also, the seat probably won´t look ¨good¨. Will be (in my opinion) a case of function over aesthetics.

Secondly, try to find a company within the UK that can reshape and refoam the seat for you.
I have no first hand experience with any such firms in the UK, so can´t recommend anyone personally.

Anthony Mclaughlin from the UK Facebook Bobber Group did a nice recover job. Maybe you could contact him?
I have spoken to him and he is very friendly. Though i do not know if he has experience with actually RESHAPING a seat. If not, maybe he can recommend someone.
Here is a screenshot of his work:

Third option is a Corbin. But there are very limited reviews regarding their seat and refunds are a complete no-no (i spoke to Corbin UK and they confirmed this).
I have a coccyx issue/pain and asked what happens if the seat does not resolve my issue. They just copy-pasted some spiel about comfort and said that they cannot offer a refund under any circumstances. Simply NOT good enough if i am going to spend 520GBP.

I am still weighing up all 3 options above.
Thanks so much for all the info - really appreciated.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page