Running it in? - Triumph Bobber Forum
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

Running it in?

How many miles you gotta ride the bike like an old woman for? What revs and until what mileage etc. Also whats the red line on the Bobber? I think I got pretty close to it when I took out the demo bike a few times, want to make sure I treat mine own with a semblance of respect. Also, I am going to take a can of either acf50, gt85 or fs365 or the like and start spraying before I have even got my leg over my saddle before my first ride, do you think the Dealer will have any issues with this? Finally, anything else you can recommend I do before riding her for the first time?
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 12:25 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordLoveRocket71 View Post
How many miles you gotta ride the bike like an old woman for? What revs and until what mileage etc. Also whats the red line on the Bobber? I think I got pretty close to it when I took out the demo bike a few times, want to make sure I treat mine own with a semblance of respect. Also, I am going to take a can of either acf50, gt85 or fs365 or the like and start spraying before I have even got my leg over my saddle before my first ride, do you think the Dealer will have any issues with this? Finally, anything else you can recommend I do before riding her for the first time?
My dealer told me to keep it to three quarter revs for the first 600 miles and then to bring it in for its first service. Itís important to work through the gears in order to create load during the running innpwriod also.

Not sure about the redline... anyone?

I plan to do the exact same with some acf50
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
The manual will cover the run in process. From what I recall, try not exceed 4000 RPM, try not to stay at a constant speed/gear for a long period of time, be sure to run through all the gears often - for the 1st 500 miles. Schedule 1st service around 500 miles.

Some people followed the suggested advice in the manual, other's drove it like it was stolen from day one. It is important though to do the service around 500 miles according to the dealer (mine at least) as the oil in it is a lubricant and engine cleaner which degrades and isn't meant for high rpms or longer than the ~500 miles.

I believe the rev limiter kicks in around 7200 or 7400 RPMs.

I don't think the dealer will care if you put treatments on the exterior such as GT85 on the bike at all.
Mike J Commo likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordLoveRocket71 View Post
Have a read here. I don't wait for the first dealer visit I change the oil at about 100 miles. I don't think the microscopic metal particles is doing any good to the engine and tranny.

Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power

Chico
catchoreno and Mike J Commo like this.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 01:48 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico View Post
Have a read here. I don't wait for the first dealer visit I change the oil at about 100 miles. I don't think the microscopic metal particles is doing any good to the engine and tranny.

Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power

Chico
Holy leap of faith... feeling torn!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator

Here is an old post of mine:

I do not adhere to the books break in period rules.
Never have on any bike i have owned (except fragile 2 strokes).
I break the bike in by riding it like i would on ANY given day & try to do alot of windy, undulating roads + city riding so i can use every gear and most of the rev range during the first 1000km.
Warming up the bike (golden rule - before EVERY first ride), bedding in the brakes & acclimatizing to the bike itself are all very important. But nannying the engine and revs....??? Never.
I also use the best oils available and usually service my bikes before the required time.

https://www.triumphbobberforum.com/fo...415-miles.html
ysoslo and Leon like this.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 02:30 PM

Each to their own. On race car engines, an ex-colleague used to take a steel rule, dip the very corner in 'Ajax' which was a commercial scouring powder, and drop a little down each intake trumpet. Change the oil and that's it done.

When I rebuilt my Peugeot 205 GTi engine, I fired it up and the rings made a **** of a noise. I switched the engine off and thought about it for a mo. I decided to press on. I took it down the dual carriageway and the noise slowly became quieter. Changed the oil and job done. Ran sweet as a nut for the next 30,000 that I had the car. We never hear our engines fired up for the first time do we.

Last edited by chezqui; 03-27-2018 at 02:34 PM.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

With my first ever bike (Honda Fireblade) I bought brand new, dealer told me to run it in. Which to the most part I did, sometimes I would forget and wind it back, but usually caught myself and changed up. Also though, I rode that bike as a commute throughout winter, wasn't garaged, wasn't the best at maintenance and didn't really look after it too well. But it never caused me any problems. I have heard some people say ride it how you want from day 1 other religiously keep revs low. I can see me taking it easy initially, how long that will last who knows. It would be really interesting to see a like for like test 1 motor ridden hard from day 1 against a motor treated with kid gloves and then stripped down to see how they both fared.
chezqui likes this.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 05:21 PM

I've bought some of that ACF50 stuff. Where you planning on spraying it? I'm going to do the engine panels, frame and radiator but not sure about down pipes. It suggests you can use on exhausts and any excess gets burnt off without damage?
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 09:30 PM
Super Moderator

I usually just ride it as the Good Lord intended.
eisen77 likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page