Just bad luck ? - Triumph Bobber Forum
 30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

Just bad luck ?

So last month I bought my first Triumph...a Bobber Black. Absolutely love the bike, love the way it rides, love the attention to detail, love the way it turns heads. What I donít love is that itís already back at the dealership with an oil leak. Turns out the water pump is bad which is causing oil to push through the seals and out of the weep hole in the bottom of the pan. 200 miles on it (though the problem manifested much earlier without me realizing what it was.)

Looking for feedback from those with a history with Triumphs. Just bad luck? Admittedly Iím a little cynical because this is my 9th motorcycle owned but the first ever to go back to the shop virtually new and leaking oil.

Hoping itís a fluke that will be fixed shortly and forgotten.
post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 10:34 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by swsantoni View Post
So last month I bought my first Triumph...a Bobber Black. Absolutely love the bike, love the way it rides, love the attention to detail, love the way it turns heads. What I donít love is that itís already back at the dealership with an oil leak. Turns out the water pump is bad which is causing oil to push through the seals and out of the weep hole in the bottom of the pan. 200 miles on it (though the problem manifested much earlier without me realizing what it was.)

Looking for feedback from those with a history with Triumphs. Just bad luck? Admittedly Iím a little cynical because this is my 9th motorcycle owned but the first ever to go back to the shop virtually new and leaking oil.

Sorry to hear of the issue youíve suffered.

There was one other guy on here who had written a post in relation to what he believed to be an excessive amount of oil leaking via the weep hole. Having said that I canít remeber the name of the the chap who posted that so it might well have been you?
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 01:55 AM

Oil leak on Street Twin - Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums

765RS,Speed3R,ThruxtonR,T120,ThruxtonClassic,Thrux tonEFI,HDSlim,48,NightRoad,DynaGlide,Roadking,Hťri tage,900CBR,1500F6C,1100ZRX,1200Bandit,1100Zťphir, 1000CBR,750SRAD,VMax,750&1000GSXR,750Stinger,FJ120 0,500XT,Tťnťrť,GS1000&750,GT750&380,RDX,K5..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 09:51 AM

Garage
Just to clarify for all reading. The picture posted by PFEN is a universal stock picture of an AUTOMOTIVE externally mounted water pump, NOT the combination water/oil pump in our Triumph engines. Youíd have deducted this if you read the full forum thread he attached, but I thought Iíd just chime in. Thanks for the info PFEN!
ysoslo and Irisheye like this.

Riding Free
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 11:56 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by swsantoni View Post

Iím sure it is just bad luck

Either that or Triumph is taking this whole retro thing to another level, you canít get more authentic than a Triumph with an oil leak
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator

Like Bobber-Bomb says, an oil leak is all part of the retro-theme. It's probably calibrated at the factory, and you can get an upgrade kit that lets you replicate the leaks of various models throughout the ages. Eisen might even move the kit to the left-hand side

But seriously, this is the kind of issue you can expect with a model 1. I previously had a Triumph Thunderbird, also on its first model year, and it developed a weep around the water pump. It was fixed under warranty and never recurred. I'd expect Triumph to fix this and for it to not recur, and for you to have many happy miles.

But let us know how it goes!

- Pasta
eisen77 and Greybeard like this.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 01:13 PM

Yeah, as I mentioned in your other thread, I am keeping an eye on mine also. I get moisture at the weep hole but not enough to call a ďleakĒ yet.
swsantoni likes this.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the feedback and talking me off the ledge a bit...sounds like bit of bad luck that will hopefully be fixed by the dealer this week. Based on the link to the triumphrat forum discussion Iím hoping they donít just throw a new part at it without checking the seals as well.

And thanks for the ďyou wanted retro...you got itĒ humor...I was thinking I had lost my ďif I wanted a bike thatís always in the shop Iíd have bought a HarleyĒ card but ď100% authentic retroĒ is much better!

Iíll post an update when Iím back in the saddle.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 03:53 PM

Why is it that those who don't own Harley products feel they have to knock HD. I have a 2000 Fatboy from new and she had one repair, a dried seal, not bad.

Chico
Forjox likes this.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 08:06 PM

It's a fluke. Mine puked oil all down the right side from a blown seal, different seal though. Don't let it bother you it's a great bike
swsantoni and BKiller like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page